Re: Why was wpa_supplicant.conf renamed wpa_supplicant.conf.pacsav??

Please, never ever seriously consider making pacman surprising in any
way resembling to what has been unsuccessfully proposed.
Does the pacman wiki suggest running the following line after updates yet?

find /etc /opt /usr /var -regextype egrep -regex '\*.pac(new|save)'

A section describing the results of this might also hint to why you
probably don't need to update your mirrorlist every time, why using
rankmirrors is probably not a good idea and that critical stuff like
ssh configuration should be dealt with immediately in the cloud,
otherwise users might be locked out.
Personally I also ongoingly ignore
/etc/libvirt/qemu/networks/default.xml.pacnew because it depends on
network device name. I think at some point I might have to discuss
this with the respective package maintainer.

Other than that, I don't like gentoo's way of dealing with this
problems other than the fact they ship tooling to actually deal with
the 3-way merge pacman expects from the user. I'd welcome suggestions
on this and actually was not smart enough up to now to somehow have a
script dig up the old version's unmodified configuration file (to be
used in said merge). I know there's the pacman cache, but pacman
itself doesn't seem to need that to know there's a merge going on.
There's definitely potential in doing this that might benefit
everyone, please approach me for a follow-up.

cheers!
mar77i