Re: Installation: How to get HDD > LUKS > GPT working in a clean way

On 11/27/2016 08:09 PM, Merlin Büge wrote:
Hi Yaro,

thanks for your answer!

I'd set up two partitions: Your EFI system partition and the LUKS
container. Then inside LUKS, format the whole thing as LVM and then set
up from there, rather than make the LUKS container another GPT "disk."
Then you just use the crypt and lvm2 hooks.
I have no EFI system partition because I don't need one.

My mistake. I assumed you had a typical UEFI setup, which would require one.

You should only really use partition tables on a physical disk, in my
opinion, not a LUKS container.

The reason for this is that LVM works with a lot more flexibility and is
more readily automated than trying to get the system to re-read
partition tables.
Hm. I can see your points. But I don't need the flexibility LVM provides,
I have enough flexibility through Btrfs.
And yeah, it's readily automated, and that's indeed practical for many
people. Personally, I'd rather modify the start-up process a tiny bit
so that GPT inside LUKS gets parsed. I just try to strip off unnecessary
'overhead' / layers of my system.
Okay, then.

Here's my opinion on this approach.

If you have 8 GiB or more and not hibernating, don't bother with swap, it'd be a waste of disk space. In that case you could just put a btrfs volume straight on the LUKS container without the GPT. Problem solved as you don't need any more volume management than opening LUKS containers.

Otherwise WITH swap: Unfortunately btrfs (still) doesn't support swap files properly, otherwise I'd suggest using them. You can write a custom hook. Unless you plan to share it, I'd make it a dead simple shell script that simply reruns the command to scan for added GPT partitions for your specific setup. Make sure you have a setup hook that gets the dependencies in there.

Personally, I still think you should just use LVM, for the simple reason you're having trouble with GPT, which is not meant for being used like this, since it can work as a more flexible "partition table" inside the LUKS container and is better supported all around. btrfs really doesn't act as a good replacement for logical volumes, in my experience. Having something with more features than you need is better than trying to coerce something into working ways it's not really intended.

If you were on a system where you could add disks [...]
Since it's on my laptop, I don't need that functionality :)

Best Regards,

Merlin