Re: snapcraft.io IMO gets across the message that snaps are appropriate for Arch Linux

On 11/24/2016 08:40 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> An excerpt from
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2016-October/287739.html
>
> ogra@xxxxxxxxxx is deeply involved in working on snappy.
>      ^^^^^^^^^^
>      ^^^^^^^^^^
>
>   Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2016 14:40:32 +0200
>   Subject: Re: Question about Snaps
>   To: ubuntu-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   From: ogra@xxxxxxxxxx
>
>   [snip]
>
>   snaps are the future in the ubuntu ecosystem (and most likely also in
>   many others, when looking at the consortium of different distros and
>   projects that decide on their direction now in the technical oversight
>   board [1]) [snip]
>

>   [1] appstream, Arch, debian, elementary, KDE, Ubuntu, VLC, Fedora
>                  ^^^^
>                  ^^^^

What is your point? That Ubuntu lies for propaganda reasons? They have
no authority to speak for any project other than Ubuntu itself, so
statements like that are fundamentally ridiculous, and no one with a
brain believes them on faith anyway.

The fact that Ubuntu is, um, overexcited about the fact that other
distros try to make sure the software runs as intended on their distro,
is a well-known fact, and everyone here has long since been disabused of
the notion that packaging snapd means it is recommended over pacman as a
software installation method.

It seems to me though, that you have an irrational hatred of Snaps. It
is one thing to not want to use them yourself, especially from an Arch
perspective. It is another thing entirely to pick a fight on *their*
mailing list, about whether *their* users (who have different priorities
from Arch users) are willing to use Snaps. They most likely wouldn't be
Ubuntu users if they cared about the downsides of Snaps, but if they did
care, then I am sure they also know how to avoid Snaps altogether.

And what do you want from us anyway? They are legally and ethically
allowed to use the Arch Linux logo to indicate their software works on
Arch Linux, and the personal soapbox of Snapcraft/Ubuntu devs is not
under the control of the Arch devs, so we can't force them to stop
exaggerating either.

--
Eli Schwartz