Re: Laptop cooling fan does not work

Am 23.08.2016 um 20:21 schrieb Sean Greenslade:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 08:14:47PM +0200, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
Downgrading the Nvidia driver does not seem to be a good idea, as version
367.35 has a dependency on linux<4.7.

As both, the graphics driver and the Linux OS, need to be downgraded
simultaneously, this will not show which causes the problem.

Ah, but at this point you don't know if either of those packages are the
source of your problem. Downgrading them both could give some
information. Try it.

And again I ask, please describe precisely what the problem is. So far
all I have gotten are vague clues from your messages.

Usually, when the laptop warmed up, a loud noise from some fan arised - this has gone. As some other fan seems to vary its speed silently, it seems that the graphic card's fan is the problem - it seems not to work anyway. :-(

Is it possible to start the fan manually?

There seems to be sth. wrong with my Nvidia settings, nvidia-settings shows an error that X is incorrectly configured and my vidieo card seems not to be used - probably this causes the problems. Maybe this is caused by some update or sth. else. I'll check that next weekend.

Peter

The second option is to replace the Nvidia driver with the Nouveau driver -
I've to read about this first, as the driver evolves and probably supports
more features as when I checked this last time.

Sure, Nouveau is worth a try. If it works for your needs, I suggest
using it over the proprietary driver.

--Sean