Re: startx on arch vm running on ESXI (when accessed via ssh - do I need a DM?)

On 19/03/16 01:50, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 03/18/2016 03:09 PM, Ben Oliver wrote:
I would personally set up VNC and tunnel it over ssh. Tried your approach
once and never had much joy.

Thanks Ben, all,

   Now the synapses are starting to fire again. The frustrating thing is I used
to do this without much of an issue when I would setup arch in virtualbox for
building Trinity (before I found the archroot magic). I used 'rdesktop', e.g.:

   rdesktop myhost.mydomain.com -u david -g 1280x800 -E -x l &

(or '-x b' for broadband)

   This allowed connection to either kdm or windows (with remote desktop
connections enabled, and e.g. port 3389 forwarded to myhost).

   Where I'm getting senile is I do not recall doing anything special to the
display manager to allow connections with rdesktop. I do recall using
tightvnc-server. So it looks like today for Arch that means TigerVNC:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TigerVNC

   This looks like what I needed. I'll let you know how it pans out. If there are
any EXSI specific quirks, I'll note them in the wiki.

Having had a similar issue in the past, I just wanted to suggest an alternative that I have working very well with our ESXi server here. VMWare itself supports making the virtual machine console available over VNC natively, albeit in a very non obvious way.

http://www.unixarena.com/2014/02/configuring-vmware-esxi-virtual-machine-console-vnc.html

Thought perhaps that might be a helpful tip!

Cheers,

--dan