Re: Network configuration

On 02/04/2016 03:41 PM, Bruno Pagani wrote:
Le 04/02/2016 15:27, Wolfgang Mader a écrit :
Dear list,
I have a router which automatically identifies the devices connected
to it by their host name (its a FritzBox if that matters). However,
this does not work for all my arch-boxes. Thus, I get the feeling, I
am missing something in my network configuration.

Usually, I edit /etc/hostname by putting just the hostname in there.
There is also the tool
    hostnamectl set-hostname myhostname
which does the same. The arch wiki says, that the file also may
contain the domain, if any. How do I set a hostname with domain? Is it
just
    hostnamectl set-hostname myhostname.domain

Then, the arch wiki says, that it is a good idea to add the hostname
as alias for localhost in /etc/hosts. Do you do that?

And last, which piece of information determines the computers name in
the network. Is it the hostname in /etc/hostname, or more likely the
aliases in /etc/hosts? Is there anything more I should configure?
What matters is the DHCP request you arch system issue to your box. You
should look at what hostname your DHCP client (dhclient/dhcpcd/whatever)
sends.

Here, with dhcpcd, its hostname content. Dunno for other ones.

This seems to be the pointer I needed. Thx.
Bruno