Re: Line Drawing Characters

Op 14-11-2015 om 17:10 schreef David N Murray:
Hi all,

I've built several machines by installing Arch from scratch. Recently, I built a Linode VM using their Arch image, dated 2015-08. From there, I did a normal `pacman -Syu` to update the system. My problem is probably trivial, annoying, and I haven't been able to figure it out. I'm hoping someone can give me a hint on where to look. I've been through the post-install docs and can't figure out what might be causing this.

The machine I'm on is running xfce and I'm using xfce4-terminal 0.6.3. If I do something like `systemctl status`, I see output that is mostly ascii characters: * on the first line next to the name of the host, pipe (|) next to each line in the CGroup. If I ssh into another local machine, I see the same thing.

My problem is on the Linode box. When I ssh there and run the same command, I'm seeing garbage where I see pipes next to each line in the CGroup output. I don't know if this is going to paste properly, but I'll try:

Local:
   CGroup: /
           |-init.scope

Linode:
   CGroup: /
           ├─init.scope

On the linode box, those 2 characters actually occupy 6 characters in the output and the last 5 characters are each drawn in a box and overwrite the first character of the process name. All the characters appear as "garbage."

What's really strange is that the output from `top` is fine, and that appears to use some graphics and color.

Has anyone seen something like this? All sessions have the same TERM variable (xterm). This is an area of any Linux I've never spent much time. It always just worked out-of-the-box (for any distro I've ever used). The only thing I can think of at this point is to try and diff the two systems' /etc directories and see if I can track it down that way. Maybe that's next.

TIA,
Dave

Maybe you can check the LANG setting?

I have LANG=en_US.UTF-8 and TERM=xterm-utf8.
Changing LANG=en_US on my system changes the drawn lines in the output of systemctl status into pipelines.

Regards,
Harm-Jan Zwinderman

Cebuned.svipr.nl/Cebuned.html