Re: systemd-networkd and netctl with multiple interfaces

On 11 November 2015 at 09:18, Ludwig Zins <lz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/11/15 09:47, Bennett Piater wrote:
> > Hello!
> > I installed Arch on my new Thinkpad T450s over the weekend.
> > Everything works well, but I have a question:
> >
> > I use systemd-networkd to manage my network interfaces and netctl for
> > the connections. I set everything up according to (this)[0] and
> > (this)[1] to get automatic activation of wifi via netctl-auto and
> > netctl-ifplugd.
> >
> > My question is as follows: I use i3wm, and i3status shows *both*
> > ethernet and wifi as connected if I plug in the cable while having a
> > wifi connection. What does this mean exactly, and how is my traffic
> routed?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for clearing that up.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Bennett
> >
> > [0]:
> >
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-networkd#Wired_and_wireless_adapters_on_the_same_machine
> >
> > [1]:
> >
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netctl#Automatic_switching_of_profiles
> >
> > --
> > GPG fingerprint: 871F 1047 7DB3 DDED 5FC4 47B2 26C7 E577 EF96 7808
> >

> Hi,
>
> I have exactly the same setup (i3wm, i3status and netctl) and the same
> behavior.
> If I plug in the cable i3status shows both connections. I manage it, that
> I deactivate the
> wifi-card with the hardware switch after I plugged in the cable and
> everything
> ist fine.
> I couldn't get netctl to deactivate the wifi automatically.
>
> Regards,
> Ludwig
>
> --
> GPG Fingerprint: 988C DE90 4149 C4A8 AAF1  996A 0450 F6B3 A9B2 6230

I also would like to know!

My laptop is set to start wifi on boot. Sometimes I have to switch to
ethernet. I have noticed that if I set the ethernet interface to up and
plug a cable in, I have an IP on both interfaces (so i3status says).

For good measure I always set the wlan interface to down, but I'm always
curious as to what actually happens.

I wish I could elaborate more on my set up but I installed it a year ago,
it's worked ever since, so I honestly cannot remember what I am using.

--
benoliver999.com