PHP - libphp5.so, OR php-fpm and mod_proxy_fcgi, OR php5 with apache2-mpm-worker and mod_fcgid

All,

When I last loaded a full server install in 2013, at that time, the use of libphp5.so was discouraged by the wiki, indicating that path was likely to be deprecated. The wiki suggested an alternate install using php-fpm and mod_proxy_fcgi, or php5 with apache2-mpm-worker and mod_fcgid as the preferred approaches for PHP.

Fast forward 2-years, a failed disk controller and a new server build in 2015. Configuring PHP, I was surprised to find libphp5.so still an option, much less the first option suggested in the wiki. What happened?

What is the proper-suggested PHP configuration? Is libphp5.so still on its way out? (there is no indication this is still the case). I have a relatively lightly used web-server, so the use of mod_mpm_prefork and loss of threading is not an issue with my setup.

Why would I choose either php-fpm and mod_proxy_fcgi, or php5 with apache2-mpm-worker and mod_fcgid as an alternative to libphp5.so for my PHP config on Arch?

I'm trying to find out what the trade-offs are and whether it would make sense to use one way over another. Ideas?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.