Re: debug package repositories again

On 08/12/2015 05:02 PM, Leonid Isaev wrote:
On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 12:36:22PM -0700, Joe Julian wrote:
It's been hashed and rehashed, but I need to bring this up again. Every
other popular distro has a way of debugging without completely rebuilding a
package, saving countless combined hours.

Why can't we just have a way of installing the symbols?
Not enough manpower...
There would be no more manpower needed than there is now. Set the debug option to makepkg and put the debug package created in the debug repo.

Allan has already added the features necessary to make this possible.

Why is this so hard? What can I do to help make this a reality?
Well, there has to be a separate [debug] repo which (most importantly) must be
kept in-sync with the main ones, or more packages in current repos. Then,
someone has to actually build those packages.

I would personally prefer that most packages come with debugging enabled by
default. Surely, there will be a performance cost, but speed is not crucial in
most cases.

Cheers,

There's no performance impact, just disk space and bandwidth.