Re: Upgrading from linux 4.0.0 to 4.0.1 without reboot

On 29/04/15 17:21, Chi Hsuan Yen wrote:
On 30 April 2015 at 00:08, Dan Haworth <dan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 29/04/15 16:50, Chi Hsuan Yen wrote:

According to my understanding, 4.0 just implements the groundwork required
for rebootless patching of the kernel, there's still a lot of work to be
done to implement this in the long run - specially for a desktop system. I
wouldn't plan on seeing true no reboot patching of the kernel for a while
yet.
Thanks a lot Dan, and it's obvious that I misunderstood something. I've
looked into several technical or non-technical descriptions, but seen
nothing about how to really activate the feature, such as commands or
configuration files, but potential benefits from it. As a result, I think
such a process takes place automatically without user intervention. After
all, thanks all for the quick response!

Always happy to help! One article I did find gave a good overview of this new kernel patching was http://www.pl-enthusiast.net/2015/04/14/dynamic-software-updating/

Could be a good read :)

Dan