Re: mutt and gnupg

On 06/12/14 at 10:36pm, Magnus Therning wrote:
On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 09:55:22AM -0600, Troy Engel wrote:
On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 3:53 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, is there some way to configure mutt to go straight to the
> gpg-agent, without any warning messages on startup?

I fought with this as soon as it came out and engaged upstream -
v2.1.x requires the agent and pinentry, you'll need to work out a
change in your configuration to use "loopback" mode in pinentry. Based
on the forum thread and upstream bug report I worked out these
instructions for a general case:

  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gnupg#Unattended_passphrase

If you figure out another case that is needed, please update the wiki
with your new find. :)

Hmm, that configuration basically makes GnuPG *not* use the pinentry
program and makes mutt completely bypass the use of gpg-agent.

I rather like gpg-agent and the pinentry program... so I'd much rather
configure mutt to work with standard behaviour of v2.1.x.  Is that
possible?

Yes, but you do need to move to GPGME (or at least that was the only way I
restored that functionality).

Update your gpg configuration in your mutt files:
 set crypt_use_gpgme = yes

Then in your shell profile file, set a couple of variables:
 export GPG_TTY=$(tty)
 export GPG_AGENT_INFO=$HOME/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent

Now you will get the pinentry prompt in mutt, and your gpg-agent will continue
to work for other services (which the loopback hack breaks, as noted in the GPG
release notes).

/J

--

http://jasonwryan.com/  [GnuPG Key: B1BD4E40]