Re: Improve the filesystem package

Then, a filesystem update wants to add a new system user, so it
updates the file /usr/lib/sysusers.d/archlinux.conf. The .install
script runs systemd-sysusers and... nothing happens, because this
program only creates the file when there is not there in the first
place.

In fact no, it add the new user/group (I just tested). Try running `systemd-sysusers`, add a user in /usr/lib/sysusers.d/base.conf then run `systemd-sysusers`.

The problem is similar. Once I have modified an existing file in
/etc, what will happen when a new version of the file comes from the
package. Will it not be installed? Or will it overwrite my own file?
Maybe you can convice systemd-tmpfiles to copy the file to
/etc/watever.pacsave, I don't know. But then, where is the
advantage?

Yes, I didn't thought about pacnew, dummy I am... I wrote about /usr/share/etc for the stateless boot stuff (cf link from my previous mail), which is pretty cool. Maybe for this time we could let them in /etc.