Hanging on log out

Been having a problem in recent weeks that I'm unable to fix or even diagnose.

When I log out of my desktop, the machine just hangs with a blank X windows screen. (I.e., black screen with mouse cursor pointer.) I'm able switch to a console and successfully issue the "sudo poweroff" command from there. But the system never brings me back to an X login screen.

I'm not sure what package is causing the problem here. I run XFCE with LXDM as my DM. My initial guess was that this is an issue with xfce4-session, since a) I see a zombie "sh" process under xfce4-session when I look at the process list, and b) when I kill xfce4-session I successfully get back to a login screen. But I also see that the xfce4-session package hasn't been updated since September, so I'd think it's unlikely that that's what's causing the problem.

Anyone got any pointers in the right direction for me on this?

Thanks,

DR