Re: Secure Boot Support

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 08:26:58 -0800, kristof <saposcat@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Oh, and some UEFI implementations don't actually allow users to add keys to the database; only remove them. The workaround to this is to delete all keys in the database, which would cause the computer to boot into "setup-mode", where a user could manually start repopulating the key database. However, this would cause the computer to not be able to boot, er, Windows. Some people would like to boot Windows.

Apologies for triple posting (that might be bad form) but I just checked my firmware again and I cannot find an option to add keys; only delete all keys in the database or reset to factory settings. I'd rather not try the former option because I don't know if I'll be able to get my Windows key back, but I do suspect that I would be able to add the 'Arch Linux' key once I threw out the entire database that I have. I also tried using an unsigned Gummiboot just now on secure boot; my firmware still allows me to manually specify a .efi file to trust, and Gummiboot indeed loads, but vmlinuz still won't load as it's not trusted by the firmware.

The point of this is that UEFI implementations are all different (I guess manufacturers just want to be special snowflakes) and utilizing the shim makes documentation and implementation a lot easier and a lot more unified. The MOK database is the same for all distributions that choose to use the shim. It'll be the same on every computer with Arch installed (if Arch uses the shim). Adding a key will be an easy process to document. I understand the qualms against using anything Microsoft signed (I don't like it either) but the source of the shim is available at http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/shim-signed/shim-0.2.tar.bz2, and it's a trivial task to verify that Microsoft hasn't tampered with the binary. There's no arbitrary trust given to foreign entities. The highest authority of trust remains with the distribution packagers, because they're the ones who sign everything, and its their key(s) that ends up on the installation media.

...if anyone else who has a securely bootable UEFI mainboard would like to comment on whether or not they can add keys to the firmware, I'd appreciate it if they said so.