Re: Pulseaudio update - mpd now refuses to play as same user

Hi,

* On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 07:41:52AM +0800, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Nov 19, 2012 10:27 AM, "Oon-Ee Ng" <ngoonee.talk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Jan Steffens <jan.steffens@xxxxxxxxx
>wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > > Hi, Pulseaudio from [testing] just updated to 2.99.2-1, now mpd audio
> > > output (running mpd as my own user) fails with the following:-
> > >
> > > Nov 19 14:45 : output: Failed to enable "MPD Pulse Output" [pulse]:
> > > pa_context_connect() has failed: Connection refused
> > > Nov 19 14:45 : player_thread: problems opening audio device while
playing
> > > "PointBreak-StandTough.mp3"
> > >
> > > Setting up pulseaudio to listen on TCP locally as in the wiki works,
but
> > > never needed to do that before. Can anyone else verify this? Is it
> > perhaps
> > > logind related (worked fine before this last pulseaudio update)?
> >
> > You're running mpd from systemd? I believe it's because PulseAudio now
> > uses $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/pulse instead of /tmp/pulse-XXXXXX,
> > $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pulse instead of $HOME/.pulse, and
> > $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pulse/cookie instead of $HOME/.pulse-cookie.
> >
> > mpd has no session, so these variables are not set, unlike the session
> > you login to.
> >
> > This should be sent upstream (bugs.freedesktop.org).
> >

> Hi Jan, thanks for the reply. Sorry for the slightly clueless follow-up,
> but it's unclear to me whether 'upstream' here refers to pulseaudio,
> systemd, or mpd. Or even whether its actually wrong behaviour.
>
> My understanding of your explanation is that there's no clear
> responsibility. mpd does not use (or require) a session, the locations
> pulse uses are fairly standard (I've always hated apps using ~/.foo)...

This was recently discussed:
http://arunraghavan.net/2012/11/pulseconf-2012-report/

Does not look like anything has come of it yet. I guess it might make sense
to ask advice from the PA guys though, they would hopefully have an idea.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I'll ask on their ML.

Thanks for the investigation.

The only change I needed to do was add "/run/user/1000/pulse/native" (obtained from pactl info | grep 'Server String'). I believe it may be because mpd was connecting or trying to connect to different server (I also noticed "shm_unlink(/pulse-shm-2228832221) failed: No such file or directory" in the logs and thought something wrong with auto-detection of mpd).

Regards,
--
Raghavendra Prabhu
GPG Id : 0xD72BE977