Re: Introduction from a blind arch user

It is possible to install your choice of GNOME, KDE, XFCE and/or LXDE on your Arch system. I use GNOME3 here with no difficulty. If you find you don't like gnome-shell, you can force fallback mode, either by setting it in system settings -> graphics or by removing the gnome-shell package from your system. Orca is in the gnome-extra group, so installing gnome and gnome-extra will give you a system that you can get talking with a minimum amount of effort. As for KDE, I wouldn't recommend it for daily use just yet, although usability is progressing rapidly. You can get qt apps talking even in GNOME, LXDE and XFCE by grabbing the qt-at-spi-git package from AUR. I have heard of some blind users who were able to get LXDE and XFCE talking, but your results may vary, especially since there are few people who actually have experience with such an installation at the moment. However, don't let that discourage you from trying either or both. One of the things that makes Arch great is the fact that you can try everything and keep only what you want. Hope this helps.
~Kyle
--
Linux killed Kenny, bastard!