Re: glibc issues during first update in several months

On 10/02/2012 01:30 AM, Erik Johnson wrote:
After several months of not updating my home server, I decided to run
updates tonight. I still hadn't done the /usr/lib symlink move, so I
followed the guide on the wiki like I did for my other boxes and still
ended up borking my system. Think this is because I accidentally said "yes"
to upgrading pacman before the other packages. I ended up finding this
thread on the forum:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1167283

After booting with a rescue disc and untar-ing the package into my root
partition as that thread suggested, I was able to get booted back up and
continue with the upgrade.

I recently ran into similar issues resulting from my taking care of this upgrade much later than when it was released.

FYI, though, for future reference: there's an alternative (and an arguably more "correct" one) to untar-ing a package into your root directory to fix issues like this. If you boot into an Arch Linux installation disk, you can then use the copy of pacman installed on that disk to "properly" install packages onto your hard disk. You just have to use the "-r" (change root) parm of pacman to do it. So for example, you can do things like this (e.g., if the root file system of your hard disk is mounted at /mnt/temp):

$ pacman -r /mnt/temp -U /mnt/temp/var/cache/pacman/pkg/<some-package>.pkg.xz

Doing things this way will make sure that the pacman database on your hard disk gets updated correctly when you install the packages to fix the breakage.

HTH,

DR