Re: Nvidia/vesafb/GRUB2

On 06/26/2012 01:19 PM, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
Putting GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text in my default grub, then running a
new grub.cfg. Reboot and the message went away, though in the console
the text is huge. I have seen no actual "fix" for this and have read
that Nvidia is not even sure how or why it broke.

If it wasn't huge before then you were either running nouveau or vesa
framebuffer on the console and Nvidia in the desktop. This warning is
likely due to the fact that running a framebuffer and Nvidia used to
crash linux. It can probably? be ignored now.

p.s. video=1600x1200@85 is usually used for nouveau enabled via
mkinitcpio

and vga=ask will scan and give a menu of possible vesa modes.

I do not touch nouveau drivers. Never even installed them on this box. It is because of having to give GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text flag, to get rid of the error. That is why the console looses its normal resolution. This is supposedly the way to work around the error and broken VESA.