Re: Powertop tunables and performance

On 05/31/2012 07:59 AM, Calvin Morrison wrote:
On 31 May 2012 04:47, Martin Cigorraga<msx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
 From my subjective own experience, it don't, the only thing I don't
activate when my laptop is plugged is the mouse switch since it instructs
the system to turnoff the USB port whenever there's no activity on it and
that can be very annoying, believe me xD
Combining Powertop 2 with Liquorix kernel, Ulatencyd, e4rat, preload and
some more fancy tweakes here and there -sysctl.conf, grub kernel line,
etc.- I have a feather-light, lightspeed KDE SC full suite with every eye
candy effect on and the best part is my notebook -Pavilion dv7-4287cl-
reminds _cool_ all the time.

--
-msx

One thing that bugs me is the tunables section - you have to open up
powertop every time you boot to set it correctly.

I wish there was some way to just say "ok powertop - make all of the
tunables good just by running" or "ok powertop make x y and z good,
based on this tunable config file".

Seems like that would be a good feature.

Then why not figure out all the tunable's you are trying to change through Powertop2 and put them in a script such as handler.sh so when you're on AC or BAT then the script takes care of handling all that? Seems way easier to me and is what I do. Just need to run it to find out all the relevant changeable's for your system.