Re: EFI-Support (Arch on a MacBook Pro)

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012, Arvid Warnecke wrote:

Hello,

I am planning to install Arch on my Late-2008 MacBook Pro in the near
future, because I like the Arch Way and the BSD-style better. (I used to
run FreeBSD for many years before I had to use Mac OS X. Hence the
MacBook.)

To get back to use Linux I installed Linux Mint 12, because it seemed
simple. I now have one Partition with OS X, one for Linux and one small
Swap. I installed rEFIt from OS X and then installed Linux Mint.

What I have been wondering about now is, if it will be possible to
install Arch without rEFIt and the Mac OS X at all? I read a lot in the
wiki pages, but all I found was that if I install Arch only with EFI
support I will have to install GRUB2. And on the page about GRUB2 I
read, that I will have to bless GRUB2 from OS X...

If that is necessary I might keep rEFIt and OS X as it is and only
replace the Mint installation with Arch.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Arvid

It's my understanding that with linux 3.3, it's possible to get EFI to boot straight to linux. I don't know the specifics - I mean to give it a stab early this weekend. If I still have a working computer afterwords, I'll let you know what happens (provided nobody else interjects with something more useful).

--
Scott Lawrence

Linux jagadai 3.3.1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 3 06:46:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux