Re: Is there a clean solution to get completely rid of Pulseaudio?

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 11:57:11 +0100
Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 10:17 +0000, Peter Lewis wrote:
> > And if you want to, file a bug report upstream about the dependency on
> > pulse.
>
> As others already pointed out. It's not a bug regarding to Arch
> packages, but the policy of GNOME3 to make it the default sound sever.
> OTOH here should be a possibility to fake this dependency, since this
> won't break GNOME for pro-audio usage, while PA tend to cause issues for
> pro-audio.
>
> To whom should I file a bug report, resp. a my wish?
>
> - Ralf

If you want to be even considered there, I suggest you rethink your
position. Bug reports like "change PA to ALSA because I hate the former" are
not constructive since they imply that devs are morons and made a bad
choice. Can you suggest something better? I don't think so.

Pulseaudio is a pretty good piece of software with very precise goals. DEs
strive to provide the best user experience possible, that's why gnome devs
chose PA. If you don't want PA don't use gnome.

If I were you, I would look into recompiling gdb/whatever w/o PA support...

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D