Re: Top Posting Revisited

On 12/16/2011 04:59, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Rodrigo Amorim Bahiense
<rodbzro@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On 12/16/2011 02:03, Jeffrey Lynn Parke Jr. wrote:
I don't really think that people put any conscious thought into if they
should top or bottom post. A majority of mail clients and
the aforementioned Gmail default to top posting. What I would like to know
is why is this the common practice. Obviously, people on forums and
mailing
lists like everything in the top down, first to last format. This
frustrates me. I'll have to look into that greasemonkey plugin.. I am
always fighting gmail on this issue.
I believe top posting is common because [average] people don't use e-mails
to write/read long texts anymore, but rather for chatting.

Actually, nowadays it seems natural that if there is a way people can chat
through some text message system, they will. I've unfollowed a lot of people
who apparently thought twitter was just another web messenger.
this topic is a sinkhole, but what you've stated is an individual's
failure to recognize social context, and adjust behavior accordingly.

i mean, people don't act the same way with their own family vs.
meeting their partners for the first time, do they?  or their close
personal friends vs. new business acquaintances? or when traveling
abroad?  or on a first date?  or<insert almost any situation>?

... no, they don't.  the internet allows for obscene levels of
anonymity that simply *cannot* exist in traditional/direct
communication -- permitting illusions of zero responsibility, fault,
repercussion, embarrassment, or humiliation for their activities and
escapades -- and is why trolls and all other forms of internet garbage
exist.

entering a community without competently researching and gratuitously
accepting their established customs/preferences is completely asinine;
entering that community and publicly smearing said customs, followed
by proclamations of your own, is pompously asinine.

it's not uncommon for me to spend hours on a reply/question,
occasionally approaching 4hrs or more, and sometimes spread over
several days, as i aim to be as clear, complete, and useful as
possible to the greatest number of people, on *either* side.  anyone
who does not read to learn and write to teach is>  /dev/null.

Hi there. Thanks for your reply.

It wasn't my intention to cover all the nuances and political/social implications of this topic. I just tried to say how some people, in my humble opinion, becomes very annoying when they want to share their perception of the world in _every_single_possible_media_type_. I really, really don't want to know where my friends are at every moment, and couldn't care less about what they're doing. In my personal view all these medias are very abusive to our privacy, and people now tends to think that it is very common to share your entire life with the internet.

But anyway, you're right: they can do whatever they want with whatever they got. Nobody should repress their freedom of expression.

I was wrong to write that second paragraph in my first reply as it was completely out of topic. I'm sorry for that. And am also sorry for taking your time to reply because It makes me take my time to reply in respect for yours. But the truth is that I don't want to have a philosophical discussion on whatever topic here, I'm signed to this list for technical discussion.

I'm considering "my thread" done and won't reply any further message. If anyone feels compeled to discuss my opinions, please do so off-list and I will reply.

--
Rodrigo