Re: X fails to start after editing ~/.xinitrc

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 04:45:49 +0200, Karol Blazewicz wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 4:16 AM, Juan R. de Silva
> <juan.r.d.silva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 3. In case net-tools package from core does not provide hostname any
>> more as well, what would be a solution then for one that would like to
>> use "terminus" fonts which by default installed into
>> /usr/share/fonts/local?
>
> I've never had any problems with Terminus being added to fontpath in
> .xinitrc but you can use xorg.conf for that too.

To use xorg.conf I would need first to create one, since my system works
without it so far. Unless I really must to create it I would prefer to
leave things as their are for now.

> If you have net-tools installed, you shouldn't be getting errors about
> hostname being missing.

Yes, net-tools is installed. However the error is as I said.

> hostname will be provided by inetutils, as was explained in the mailing
> list message I linked to. I'm currently running testing and I have no
> problems with X, hostname does its job (whatever that might be ;P), I'm
> using Terminus and have 'xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/local &; in my
> .xinirtc - all seems to work.

You typed above: 'xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/local &;

Is it a typo or you meant to say your .xinitrc has line like this?

'xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/local &' - with ampersand at the end

If the last is true then it differs from my entry, which is

'xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/local' - without ampersand.

Does it make sense to add it?..

> When I downgrade to [core] (i.e. I'm not using [testing] anymore),
> things still work, so the current net-tools should be all you need.

Here a snippet I found in 'man xset':

[ fp rehash:

The  rehash argument resets the font path to its current value,
causing the server to reread the font databases in the  current
font  path.   This is generally only used when adding new fonts
to a font directory (after running mkfontdir  to  recreate  the
font database). ]

I actually never run 'mkfontdir' after Terminus fonts were installed
since the Fonts Installation wiki page I referred to mentions that
executing 'mkfontscale' and then 'mkfontdir' is needed only for "older
applications that do not support fontconfig".

Do you think this might be a problem?