Re: Cannot Find Desktop in GNOME3

On 05/09/2011 11:11 PM, Guillermo Leira wrote:

-----Mensaje original-----
De: arch-general-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:arch-general-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] En nombre de Steve Holmes
Enviado el: lunes, 09 de mayo de 2011 21:46
Para: General Discussion about Arch Linux
Asunto: Re: [arch-general] Cannot Find Desktop in GNOME3

Thanks for telling me about the desktop being gone.  I really wondered
and am a bit surprised as I thought most people valued and used a
desktop area quite a bit.  Yes, I opened up my home directory from the
places and then opened the desktop folder from there.  Actually, I
think my desktop was actually a top level folder in my places menu but
still, not the same.  In fact, I have had launchers on the desktop in
the past but I guess I could get them on there again if I wanted.
It's just that the desktop was typically addressable from a single
keystroke before.  Well whatever...

I've heard comments like that before about gnome getting less and less
configurable; pretty soon, it will be like that other windows
operating system out there.

You can install gnome-tweak-tool. When you launch it, the last option is
"File Manager". Then you can select "Have file manager handle the desktop".
Logout, login, and your icons and folders should be back to your desktop. It
works almost as it used to.

Best Regards,

Guillermo Leira

i don't really encourage anyone to do that when using gnome-shell. With gnome-shell only ONE instance of the application can run and enabling the desktop to be handled by nautilus will mean that is running in the background and you cannot click on the icon to launch it again.

--
Ionuț