Re: [trinity-devel] x86_64 kdesktop.kcrash [SOLVED - it is glibc]

On 02/24/2011 01:17 PM, Wieland Hoffmann wrote:
   I have no idea what this error is. Something is going wrong somewhere on
>  x86_64 with either glibc or libxcb. I don't know if the output from the startx
>  command and its backtrace will help narrow this down, but it seems to be a
>  generic X/glibc/libxcb issue.
It's not a glibc issue - glibc is actually telling you there's an error
somewhere in the trinity code.

OK,

That's good info, but why then does Fluxbox exhibit the same pixelation desktop crash when an xterm is launched?

I can start fluxbox and I can look at the menus (change config settings in the menu), but as soon as I launch an app, the desktop does the same checkerboard wrap.

I have no doubt that there are bugs in the Trinity code, but regardless, it shouldn't effect fluxbox.

When running flux, I didn't get a backtrace dumped to the console running startx, but I had to click in the blind to shut it down after the screen went nuts.

Hopefully this isn't one of those 'coincidences' where there are 2 bugs. (1 in Trinity and another in X effecting both Trinity and Fluxbox)

What has me wondering is -- this is a brand new Arch install with nothing but base, base-devel, xorg and fluxbox on it (plus the Trinity I built).

No new hardware (same laptop I run Arch on all the time). I'll try downgrading xorg and trying again and let you know how that goes. Let me know if you have any other thoughts. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.