Re: Howto properly set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /opt/trinity/lib from PKGBUILD (postbuild)

On 02/07/2011 06:21 PM, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 6:10 PM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Guys,

        After building trinity-kdelibs, I need to create an entry and set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /opt/trinity/lib. I manually created:
'/etc/ld.so.conf.d/trinity.conf' containing "/opt/trinity/lib" and then ran
ldconfig. That worked.

        What I need to know is how to properly do this from the kdelibs
PKBUILD. I can do it by creating the file in $pkgdir, but is there a
standard way to do it? Also, what about calling ldconfig after install? Is
there a standard (post-install) snippet to add?

i don't see anything wrong with the package doing both, but i can't
comment on an "official" method.

sometimes it's appropriate (when the binaries are 1 or very few) to
make a wrapper that adds the path before invocation.

the other option (i think firefox does something like this) is to add
the path and re-export from an /etc/profile.d/ script, which would run
once at login.  if you look in that directory you will see similar
mods to the environment by packages.

C Anthony

Thank you Matthew and C Anthony,

That's what I needed. I just want some reference that I can use and feel reasonably confident that it is a proper approach and not a hack I'm using that will bite me later. I'll look at qt3 and xulrunner.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.