Re: Gnome Sound Events and Settings

On 01/22/2011 05:28 PM, Steve Holmes wrote:
What tools are needed in Arch to configure the login and logout sounds
for GNOME?

When I go into the Volume control, I can only change the alert sounds
and that, I can do OK but right now, I cannot get any sounds to work
for Login, Logout, e-mail, etc.  I've seen references in google for
other distros having something called Sound-Preferences or something
but I don't see anything like that for Arch.  Google also pulled up
some forum references to this same question but no answers were ever
given.

Sound preferences exists only if you install pulseaudio and corresponding pulse package for gnome (pacman -S pulseaudio-gnome)

What do other GNOME users do about this in Arch? I'm not aware of how
to specify the paths for the right files.  Ifound the sound files
themselves in /usr/share/sounds but can't figure out where to go from
here.

Any ideas?

Gnome project relies on sound-theme-freedesktop as the default theme from it. For some reasons they removed the login and logout sound and many more to replace it. That happened more that 1 year ago.

If you want sounds, try search a sound theme on gnome-look.org

--
Ionuț