Re: When will Arch switch to Systemd

Am Fri, 21 Jan 2011 03:16:34 +0100
schrieb Jan Steffens <jan.steffens@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Parallel *is* faster because the kernel can put all those reads into
> an optimal order. Also, the obvious multiprocessing.

Is this done by the kernel? Means, does systemd use this kernel
feature? Arch's and Gentoo's sysv init don't do it. In my experience -
I have tested this on Gentoo and on Arch  - these parallelizations make
booting a lot slower particularly on older and slower systems.

> Arch's init system is completely ignorant of dependencies.

Is this really an issue? I mean, Gentoo's init system is aware of
dependencies. But I really haven't missed this on Arch. I usually know
by myself, that apache first needs a network being set up. And I have
the impression that this makes Arch's init system slightly faster and
more KISS like.

> This does not happen. This particular feature of systemd requires a
> patched apache, so systemd can hand the port over to the newly started
> server.

This would make it even worse, if apache needs to be patched. And if
apache is patched can this behaviour of systemd be turned off?

Heiko