Re: Python 3 Rationale?

On 21/10/10 01:45, maxc wrote:
There is an excellent post by Guido here, Hilton:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2008-February/011910.html

That was in February 2008... Back when we were using python-2.5 because neither python-2.6 or python-3.0 had been released. So I doubt even Guido really cares what he thought then. Things have changed.

Anyway, the point of this discussion is...  well, there isn't one.

The only way the python symlinks are going to change from what we currently have is if a person who wants them changes:
 - becomes active in the community
 - is elected as a TU
 - gets brought on as a developer
 - convinces me they are competent enough to take over python maintenance
 - makes the change
At which point we all go "WTF? Those symlinks have been like that for two years." and revoke developer privileges as they are a crazy person and should not be trusted with our packages.

Case closed.

Now a good use of time would be to help resolve any remaining issues with this transition. Make sure bug reports are made for packages from our repos that are having issues and post fixes. Help people on the AUR update their packages for the change. Report upstream any packages that keep a shebang pointing to python when the software was configured with python2 or if their software can not be configured to use a specific version of python. Update the python page on the wiki.

Allan