Re: /etc/profile PATH variable wrong

On 15/08/10 18:50, Jude DaShiell wrote:
In order for that to be correct it needs to also have :/usr/local/bin
inside of the quote marks. The /usr/local/bin directory on Linux systems
like slackware and debian is where stuff gets put that anyone can
execute that's on the system. I put a simple shell script I wrote there
then tried to use it and it wouldn't work until I keyed in the
/usr/local/bin/myd command. That small script makes the date and time
more readable for me. Since that file was copied from suse, people in
that other distribution probably also ought to be notified.

What is wrong with not including that? If the system administrator can install files to /usr/local/bin then I am sure that they are competent enough to add that to their path.

Allan