Re: VLC and Wine have been out-of-date too long.

On 06/26/2010 11:05 AM, Burlynn Corlew Jr wrote:
On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 2:43 AM, Ionuț Bîru<biru.ionut@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 06/26/2010 10:28 AM, Lauri Niskanen wrote:

Hello,

hi

  it is stable enough for Arch and 1.0.1 is just too out date.

Please update vlc to 1.1.0 and Wine to 1.2-rc5.

rc version doesn't belong in our official extra. it would be updated to 1.2
when is actually released

vlc is already commited in trunk by me but i'm waiting a reply from the
upstream developer of libva. I don't have any issue releases vlc without
hardware decoding and i guess you want that too no?

--
Ionuț

I learned a long time ago if our dev's are holding packages back it is for a
legitimate reason. If you dont like it, build it from source. Its your
machine, nobody says you have to wait for official packages. People that
complain about packages not being updated in my opinion tend to not spend
enough time investigating why or are too lazy too solve their own problems.
Show me another distro that provides binaries as new as Arch. Keep track of
upstream issues, understand what gets included in standard arch repos, learn
how to bump versions on your own via PKGBUILD's if you really need it, or
stop complaining. Depending on such a small group of dev's and maintainers
to solve every update issue you have is asking too much and frankly
ridiculous.

I'm sorry. I didn't want to complain. I wanted to get information about the status of the packages. I wanted to know that you know. It might have been so that the packages had been forgotten. Note that wine is marked as orphan.

I am not deciding whether or not we should update to 1.2 release candidate. Not updating to it was just something abnormal as the earlier Wine updates (to the [unstable] 1.1.x development versions) had been so quick.

--
Ape <Lauri Niskanen>