Re: [arch-dev-public] kernel 2.6.34-1

On 18/05/10 17:28, Thomas Bächler wrote:
Am 18.05.2010 16:06, schrieb Evangelos Foutras:
In particular, notice Alex's reply stating:

--8<--------------------------------------------------------------------
In general, microcode is slowly being moved out of the kernel and into
the Linux firmware tree:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git;a=tree
Eventually all of the radeon microcode will end up out up in that tree.
--8<--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what this means for our kernel26-firmware package, but I
believe we would want to ship the files included in the "Linux firmware
tree".

No, we don't. We want to and will ship all the firmware files that are
included in the current Linux release (make install_firmware).

If the developers are not capable of ensuring that the driver and
firmware versions in the Linux releases work together, that is a bug on
their end. In this case, it seems they move code out of the radeon
driver more quickly than into the firmware files - I am not willing to
fix this screwup for them.

I see your point. It seems that upstream kernel developers don't wish to ship firmware files, which is... not ideal for downstream (e.g. Arch).

However, these firmware files are needed for R600/R700/Evergreen cards [1], therefore I see two options:

1) radeon_ucode [2] can be brought to [extra] and an announcement added to the front page informing users about this. (The package should also be renamed to radeon-ucode in order for it to be consistent with the rest of the firmware packages.)

2) Alternately, the radeon firmware files could be included in the kernel26-firmware package.

I like the first option better because it keeps things separate.

----
[1] http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo#TroubleshootingExtraFirmwareforR600.2BAC8-R700.2BAC8-Evergreen