Re: Arch shutdown because of firefox

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 11:14 +0800, Handsome Cheung wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I am a newbie for ArchLinux.
>
> My computer often shuts down suddenly when I browse web site. It brings me
> to TTY and said "The system is going down for system halt NOW!". I found
> that is because of  the crash of flash plugin of firefox.
>
> And my question is why the crash of firefox can cause my computer shuts
> down?
>
> PS. my system environment: Arch + awesome, no DE.
> Thanks!
>
> hc

Hi,

Well it seesm like you are not the only one with this problem. I think I
experience the same, although with a slightly different setup and
therefore alternate consequences.
I am running gnome on my 32bit Arch Linux machine, with a ati
graphics-card. Sometimes firefox crashes and gnome restarts. No complete
shutdown in my case, but I have to login again. However this only
happens with the flash-plugin being enabled. Unfortunately I wasn't able
to reproduce the problem, it occurs without any pattern (At least none
which I could discover).

However, i therefore installed flashblock on firefox. Since then I
havn't experienced this problem again. Therefore I think that your
shutdown (my gnome restart) is definitly caused by flashplugin+firefox
itself. Overheating or strange scripts, aren't the problem in my case (I
am sure, since it is a pretty standard install and the temps are ok).

Currently I was waiting for the next update to eventually fix the
problem (since I can live without flash).
But eventually someone has some clues of how to troubleshoot this (Is
there any firefox stacktrace???).

Thanks, any advice is appreciated

Benedikt