Re: Hacking into HAL's mount process

On 03/14/10 12:30, Ray Rashif wrote:
Anyway, a slightly off-topic complaint I have is that my 32GB Cruzer
is slow as hell to write to at just a measly 3MB/s.

My SanDisk Sansa Clip in mass-storage mode is excessively slow (also, Linux used to have difficulty mounting it in USB 2.0 mode and either fell back to 1.1 or failed). So maybe it's SanDisk's fault.

A layman benchmark with two other similar smaller-sized drives, and
switching between fat16 and 32, provides a hypothesis that>  size ==<
speed&&  >  fat16 ==<  speed. A friend has even tried exFat but (1)
Linux has only experimental read support for that and (2) its speed is
as worse as the worst I am used to.

Try UDF filesystem. It was originally invented for data DVDs, but I read that*, these days, Linux, Windows and Mac can all read *and write* to it (maybe due to DVD+RAM?) and that it is therefore a better successor to FAT than a newfangled Microsoft format.

*there was an article I can't find again, but Wikipedia says,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format#Native_OS_support
read support has been around for a while, and write support since
Windows Vista, Linux 2.6, Mac OS X 10.5

-Isaac