pacman overwriting files (was Re: dcron 4.2)

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Aaron Griffin wrote:
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 13.01.2010 00:34, schrieb Dimitrios Apostolou:
Since I've been bitten by this, how can I know if the file I modified is
goint to be overwritten or not, *before* it actually happens? And even
if it is, a .pacsave wouldn't hurt anyone, if I remember correctly (it's
been some time) I had completely lost my changes, and I had to rewrite
them.

pacman -Qii is your friend.

This.
pacman -Qii dcron will show you all the backup files that pacman will
take care of.

Guys that thing bit me again: During the big libpng upgrade "initscripts" package got upgraded too and /etc/rc.{sysinit,shutdown} got overwritten without notifying me. Because of special changes I've made to mount /var as tmpfs, and because I forgot to put the files in the NoUpgrade line of pacman.conf, the system was unbootable and after fixing it pacman wants to download 500MB of packages again (ideas?). :-@

Can't pacman just emit a big fat warning like: WARNING: /etc/rc.sysinit USER CHANGES OVERWRITTEN

Since this case is extremely rare, the message would appear scarcely. I can't thing of anything negative for such a feature.

Dimitris