Re: Yafray

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Ray Rashif <schivmeister@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/02/2010, Giovanni Scafora <giovanni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 2010/2/4, Matěj Týč <matej.tyc@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>> That one is not true, Yafaray (note the added 'a', AFAIK Yafray does not
>>>  exist any more) is actively developed and last website news are two
>>>  weeks old.
>>
>> I know, yafaray is actively developed, but we have yafray in extra
>> repo, so I ask here to replace it with yafaray 0.1.1.
>
> "YafaRay's predecessor YafRay (Yet Another Free Raytracer) was written
> by Alejandro Conty Estévez, and was first released in July 2002. The
> last version of YafRay was YafRay 0.0.9, released in 2006. Due to
> limitations of the original design, the raytracer was completely
> rewritten by Mathias Wein. The first stable version of the new
> raytracer, YafaRay 0.1.0, was released in October 2008."
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YafRay -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YafaRay
>
> So obviously, it's a replacement. Just deal with as if it were a name change.

If no Dev/TU is interested in YafRay/YafaRay, then just remove it from
the repo. It doesn't make sense in doing the replacement.  If someone
is interested, they should speak up and adopt/replace yafray.

In fact, we could just move ahead and remove yafray. Yafaray can
always be added in the repo later on if someone wants to maintain it.