Re: Multiple Kernels

On 02/02/2010 09:34 AM, Dan McGee wrote:
On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan<lists@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Well, Arch is rolling release distro, I agree. Arch rocks. But only one
thing. pacman should support installing multiple kernels. Developers need
not maintain the old version. Let it be in the cache of the user. But pacman
should not remove the older one after upgrade.

Do you understand what you are actually implying here? Pacman doesn't
"remove the older one", it upgrades a package.

The kernel26 package installs its files in *the same place every
time*. We don't do auto-modification of your grub menu; we don't tack
on a version string to each vmlinuz image, and we don't (except for
major kernel version bumps) have the modules in a different directory
under /lib/modules/. This is nowhere near as simple of a proposition
as you make it out to be.

-Dan

Actually I kept in mind the same thing you said above, but wrote something else :D

pacman should do what you said. keeping /boot/vmlinuz-<version> instead of just /boot/vmlinuz

which will help users in case the new kernel broke their system and also for people like me who don't have any recovery media. I installed Arch from Fedora on USB key using static pacman then formatted HDD and copied all files to HDD. But recently I lost my USB key and also my DVD drive is not working to use Fedora's DVD as recovery.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Adminstrator