Re: Fresh install of 2009.08 -> hal, dbus, PK - no mount of usb for normal user (again...)

On 11/05/2009 01:06 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
Guys,

I did a fresh install of 2009.08 on a new drive for my laptop. For
the past 8 months, I have never gotten the freedesktop.org --
removable policy to work. (well, maybe for a week or so before the
kernel change in July). I wanted to make sure I got it right this
time so I haven't monkeyed with the policies yet.

In kde4, all of my removable devices are properly recognized (usb
sticks, 2.5" laptop drives connected via usb, etc.). Despite being
recognized properly,

(1) the user cannot access the drives - until root has accessed them
(like opening konqueror su)

(2) none of the drives are mounted for the user under /media - until
root has accessed them

Thanks for any help you can give. Sincerely yours, "stumped by hal,
dbus and PK. Rankin"

Here's what I did to get this working under KDE4 (and now Xfce):

* make sure dbus is running
* make sure hal is running
* use the stock /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf (i.e., remove any edits you may have made) * if you're using a login manager (or launch script) that doesn't automatically invoke console kit for you (e.g., slim, /etc/inittab, etc.), then launch your window manager session using ck-launch-session (e.g., "exec ck-launch-session startkde")

That's it. After following these directions, if I plug in an iPod, a thumb drive, or even insert a CD, then KDE or Xfce will automatically get notified about the new media, alert me accordingly, and allow me to mount/browse the new device.

If this doesn't work for you, please feel free to email back with details as to what failed.

HTH,

DR