Re: how to boot Windows and Arch...

On 30/10/09 07:00, Preston C. wrote:
Hi, I have two hard disks installed in my computer. One for Windows
and the other for Arch Linux. I have tried to install Arch several
times but get a message write after I click "Arch Linux" from the boot
menu- it has something to do with "Error 17".

I have come to see that my Grub configuration file is not configured
properly. The problem is I do not know how to configure it properly-
so that I can use Windows and Arch.

The way I would like to go about choosing which OS I would like to use
is by selecting it from the Grub boot menu. Although, if I have to
choose a disk to boot from in the BIOS, than that is not a problem
either.

I have read on the Arch Wiki and the Grub Wiki, yet, do not know
exactly how to properly configure the Grub configuration file to
handle both OS's.

This shouldn't be too difficult to do. Just make sure that Grub itself is on the disk that BIOS boots from. Then then you need stanzas for each system, and since they are on different disks then the root will be different. Assuming you have Arch on your first disk, and Windows on the second something like this ought to take you in the right direction:

title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/mapper/tatooine-root vga=773 ro
initrd /kernel26.img

title Windows
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
makeactive