Re: We have lost the desktop war. The reason? Windows 7.

RedShift schrieb:
This thread will probably erupt in a massive flamewar, yet I decided to post my
story anyway. I am talking about the desktop experience in general, not the
technical details behind it. Keep that in mind.

I've been working these past few months with KDE 4.3 and it feels very sluggish and incomplete. I can't enable the desktop effects because that makes things even slower. I'm doing this on a fairly decent setup, an AMD Sempron 2 Ghz with an nVidia FX5500. My laptop suffers from this sluggishness as well. On top of that, lots of things annoy me in KDE 4.3, see the end of this post for my top
annoyances.

I stopped reading here, as everything after that is probably shit anyway.

Suffice it to say: Blame nvidia - KDE4/QT4 is (despite it being supposedly fixed) still amazingly slow on nvidia, my desktop with a 8500GT feels sluggish too. On a bunch of SuSE machines at work (all with nvidia), it is just as slow.

On my laptop with intel 2.9, everything is as fast as you can get.