Re: Arch Linux installation only with pacman

Ciprian Dorin, Craciun schrieb:
    Thank you all for your feedback! I'm more confident now that I can
just ignore those errors.

    One observation though: having dev, proc, and sys mounted in the
new chroot, wouldn't it misslead the scriptlets? Because these special
files would be from the live host machine, and not the guest machine?
(Anyway I could just boot inside the guest machine and have the
installation done there...)

The only thing that really depends on /sys is the autodetection in mkinitcpio - if you're going to boot this on another machine, you'll have to boot the fallback initramfs anyway, so it doesn't matter.

I remember some install scriptlets look at files in /proc, but not having /proc shouldn't make problems either.

The only thing you really need is /dev - or at least some nodes. If you don't want to bind-mount /dev, you need to create at least /mnt/dev/null (maybe also zero, not sure). On udev installation, /dev/{zero,null,console} are created there anyway, but that happens later.

Note that our installer also bind-mounts proc, sys and dev from the live system to the installation system - it's safe and can avoid problems.