Re: Independent arch field in sub packages? (Was: Re: [commitpkg] Some stylistic cleanup)

Eric Bélanger wrote:
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Aaron Griffin wrote:
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
I pushed all of your patches. The last one didn't apply cleanly, so I
had to do some tweaking. It was most likely related to me removing
trailing whitespace from the svn spacing commit.

Thanks a lot!
Thanks for applying the patches to devtools.

I have a question. Currently, sub packages can't have a different
architecture field than the main package. Are there plans to add this
possibility in the future? This could come in handy with packages that have
huge data files that are architecture independent and can be split into a
sub package with arch=('any').

I'm mainly asking because if the above gets implemented, commitpkg will need
to be slightly modified in order to be able to locate -any sub packages (and
I have a feeling that it was able to do this before my patches were applied
:d ).

There's already a feature request in flyspray:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15955

I see. So there will be in total three variables that can be overridden in a sub package that affect its final filename; pkgver, pkgrel, and arch. Finding those variables before defining pkgfile as "${_pkgname}-${pkgver}-${pkgrel}-${CARCH}${PKGEXT}" should allow commitpkg to cope with these sub packages.

Hmmm, this definitely needs some more thinking. :)