Re: introducing kernel26-lts

On 08/26/2009 02:23 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
Andreas,

How do you handle the situation where you are running the nvidia driver on the normal kernel and then boot to the lts kernel? The kernel boots fine, but X is dead, presumably because the nvidia driver isn't compiled against that kernel and laughs when you tell it to start. Any way of having a separate driver in the lts kernel module tree? To do that would you just install the nvidia driver again while the lts kernel is running and have it get put in the right place?

I guess so, I'll give it a go tomorrow. If that sounds like a really bad idea, let me know. Thanks.

Sounds like a bad idea to me. As Andreas indicated, the intended use of the lts kernel is for servers, in order to let them avoid frequent kernel upgrades. It'd be a huge amount more work for him to provide desktop-oriented modules for that kernel as well (e.g., various video cards, various wireless network cards, virtualbox, etc.)

DR