Re: [arch-dev-public] Most up-to-date distro

Pierre Chapuis wrote:
Le Mon, 20 Jul 2009 19:48:51 -0400,
Daniel J Griffiths <ghost1227@xxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

You may well have more success than I do. Finding the current upstream version for packages on hosting sites is easy, doing it for joe schmoe's website isn't so simple... If all you want to do is monitor what packages you maintain that are actually /marked/ out of date, that's simple.. I could throw together a shell script for that in a few seconds (let me know if you think I should).

Actually my script already does that (using the AUR json interface). What's left to do is expand it with scriptlets for each kind of upstream website we can find.

I have put what I've done for now here http://catwell.info/darcs/index.py?r=scripts;a=tree;f=/luachecks

As I said it's really just a beginning, it took like 15 minutes between two LSM conferences to get it working and I didn't touch it since then. Moreover, it was just to see how I could do it, but I don't think using Lua is a good idea if other people have to help (maybe Bash ?).

I just posted a proof of concept that does basic checking for packages marked out of date in bash. I'd say your method is more elegant, but whatever. I just wanted to see if I could do it. At some point in time I'll expand it to do upstream checking (probably through a -u switch or something). As of now, it will either display its output to the command line or, if passed -n, through the notification daemon.

You can find it at http://ghost1227.com/pkgwatch

--
Daniel J Griffiths (Ghost1227)
griffithsdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx