Re: About user signoffs

Denis A. Altoé Falqueto schrieb:
Hi all.

I would like to know how can we, common and lay users, give signoffs
on the packages that we use in testing. I know that arch-public-dev is
read only for non developpers and I would like to help too. Can we
send the signoffs in this list?

Yes please, do so whenever you can. Generally, you can reply to any thread on arch-dev-public as long as you send the reply to arch-general and personally, I appreciate such input.

About signoffs: Usually, the most important thing is that there is no apparent breakage in the package, like a corrupted tarball or a binary that won't even run. So if you use some a tool and its basic functionality works, you can assume that you can sign off.

However, it is even worth more if it is about a package that has exotic features which you use. Telling us that a rarely used exotic feature still works as expected tells us a great deal about whether a package has been broken or not.

Another thing is that there's some packages in core which no developers use, but which must stay in core. One example is the new Intel 4965 ucode, which I don't have a single signoff for. For such small packages, user signoffs are vital (otherwise we must move those packages untested).