Re: KDE4.3 Beta - Rocks, still a bit rough, but very usable as a primary desktop

David C. Rankin wrote:
On Wednesday 17 June 2009 10:30:48 David C. Rankin wrote:
On Wednesday 17 June 2009 10:21:02 David Rosenstrauch wrote:
<snip>

This is not a conflict between kde4 and kde3.  You can tell because the
kde3 packages are all prefixed with kdemod3-*, which does not appear
here.

This is a conflict between KDE4 and KDE4-unstable.  I'd try resolving it
by completely uninstalling all the KDE(4) packages and then reinstalling
them (this time from kde-unstable).

DR
DR,

	I have never installed anything from kde4 prior to trying to install kde4-
unstable. The only kde4 that is on my box would be from kde3 packages built
against the kde4 runtime that have pulled in kde4base, etc. as
dependencies.

	How would I uninstall this stuff so I can proceed with the kde4-unstable
install??

Or better yet, why can't I just -f and Force the package overwrite in this situation??

-f is generally a bad idea. The only times I ever use it is a) in the rare occasions where pacman gets confused during an upgrade, or b) I want to temporarily uninstall and then quickly reinstall the same package, without having to also uninstall all of the package's dependencies.

Trust me - don't use -f except for rare occasions like this where you're absolutely sure that you know what's going on better than pacman does. I would not say that that's the case here.

DR