Re: New 64 bit computer

Ricardo Hernandez wrote:
David, indeed old ati card are well supported, new ati card are almost no
supported.

2009/6/17 David Rosenstrauch <darose@xxxxxxxxxx>

Are you referring to old ATI cards?  Or new ones?

Dunno ... I've used a number of ATI cards, and haven't had problems. I'm
currently using a laptop with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9000, and a
desktop/server with a ATI Radeon 9200 SE - both without incident.

DR

Ah, I see.

I guess my rule of thumb with Linux in general, though, is: don't use cutting edge hardware. Linux usually winds up with excellent driver support for most pieces of hardware over time. But the cutting edge stuff often runs into issues resulting from some vendor or another not wanting to open source their driver code. Today it's ATI's turn, but in the past we've lived through that dance with nVidia, Creative Labs, various wifi and network card manufacturers, etc.

Dunno ... IMO you're best off choosing tried and true components for a Linux machine. And if you choose to live on the cutting edge, set your expectations accordingly! :-)

DR