Re: KDE4.3 Beta - Rocks, still a bit rough, but very usable as a primary desktop

David C. Rankin wrote:
On Wednesday 10 June 2009 11:21:01 you wrote:
David C. Rankin wrote:
If you have been in the same
holding-pattern lately in your thinking about kde4 as well -- I bet you
will be pleasantly surprised as well ;-)
Thanks for the heads up.  I'll have to give it a shot one of these days.

Clearly I'm not going to be able to remain on KDE3 for much longer, as
no one's going to be doing new development on any of the apps.

DR

Yep DR, that's the boat I find myself in. From what I can tell now, KDE4 will be a good follow on to KDE3. 30 days ago, I would have ... and I did ... tell you it wasn't

Will give it another shot one day when I have more time. I'm not looking forward to it, though, because they took away a lot of functionality (and look and feel options) that I rely heavily on in my daily workspace. From an old email of mine:

David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
>> Could you please elaborate? I am curious to know what is so wrong.
>
> I'll bite.
>
> * *All* my kde3 settings are gone and I'd need to manually port them
> over to KDE4.
> * The KDE3 color schemes are gone.  I'd need to manually port my colors
> over to KDE4.
> * The widget style I like to use is gone.  The ones provided are not
> very similar.
> * The window decorations I like to use are gone.  The ones provided are
> not very similar.
> * Kpersonalizer is gone.  I liked this util very much, as it allowed me
> in one fell swoop to set all my shortcut keys to emulate Windows.
> Without it I need to manually set all my shortcut keys.
>
> And that's just what I was able to come up with in a 1-hour test drive.
>
> Bottom line:  I was faced with the prospect of many hours of tweaking
> just to get my desktop back to the way I like it.  And there didn't seem
> to be any compelling benefits to KDE4 to offset this aggravation set.
>
> I'm more than open to hearing counter-arguments as to why someone thinks
> it's worth the switch.
>
> DR

DR