Re: Bit of a snag in starting kde3 - No devices detected - driver prob?

Aaron Griffin wrote:
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 2:13 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
lol!

One of the things I like about Arch is that it uses rc.conf - one, single,
central, easy-to-understand config file that controls much of the workings
of my system.  It controls everything from the modules you load, to your
network config, to all the things you want to load at system startup.

X and KDM are things I want to load at startup, therefore rc.conf would seem
to be the perfect place to put that on an Arch box.  Seems nice and clean to
me.  Matter of fact, having to go muck about in inittab seems pretty
UNclean.  (In fact, I don't think I've ever had to edit inittab once on the
5 or 6 Arch boxes I've had over the years.)

Just wondering:  any particular source of information that you're basing
your "unclean and generally inferior" assertion on?

I run slim from the daemons array. Never had a problem with it.

The only added advantage of using runlevels is that I can chose to
boot into runlevel 3 or 4 if I don't want X (assuming it was set to
run on runlevel 5).

But that's minor to my usage

And if a non-X boot was needed, you could achieve it by just taking slim out of the rc.conf daemons list, and just starting /etc/rc.d/slim from the command line when/if needed.

DR